As you enter the front door, pay attention to the leaded glass panels beside and over the front door that were so typical of Westfield homes in the late 1800's. Local artisans took great pride in creating a unique look for each house.
Now glance up at the chandelier hanging from the ceiling. That brass tube through which the wires run, once carried natural gas from above to the individual lights. The glass shades as well as the brass fixtures were found in the house and carefully refurbished as part of the restoration.
Take note of the original woodwork comprising the newel post, banister, and balusters of the staircase. The image to the left above was taken before the start of construction. The only changes in the past fifty years had been periodic dusting and polishing. During construction the contractor covered the entire railing with a custom made wooden protector. The result, as it is seen today on the right, preserves faithfully the original look. Only the wallpaper is missing.
The Front Parlor has been restored with scenes of Westfield life in "photograph tiles" around the firebox. These scenes come from photographs at the turn of the century and were designed by Stacey Farley. The firebox was restored by Joe Di Francesco. In one of the scenes is a photograph of the Italian Ballini Band and their drum. This drum is still in the Historical Societies' collection and often is displayed in the house. Additionally, the first doctor in Westfield, Dr Elmer, has a cabinet on display at the Reeve House with Physician implements of the 1700's and 1800's.
Various other pieces of the 1800s & 1900s decorate the house giving the visitor a distinct view of life in Westfield over the past couple of centuries.
The Library was often the center of learning in the Reeve House with abundant books for the children and a place where music lessons could be undertaken. The Library has several items from the Reeve family including several photographs of the Reeves over the years.
William and Mamie Reeve entertained many local notables in their dining room. As part of the Reeve's effort to build Westfield into a leading suburban community, the Reeve's worked with others in town to develop many services and facilities for fellow Westfielders. William Reeve donated land to the Mindowaskin Park effort in the early 1920's apportioning his land for the creation of the playground area. Additionally, William Reeve was instrumental in establishing the local YMCA as well as other charitable endeavors.
Although the original kitchen was in the basement, the existing kitchen was created in the rear of the house in the 1930's. Given the local diaries in the area, home delivered milk was a common luxury. The milk man delivered the milk through the milk door in the kitchen in glass bottles. Assorted chinaware was warehoused in the pantry for easy access when entertaining.